Friday, December 5, 2014

Turkey Talk

Seems a little after the fact to post about Thanksgiving, but there were a few fun projects that I wanted to record here for memory's sake.

First, my Mom celebrated her birthday in November, so I took to Pinterest to find a project that Emma could make for her.  I found these adorable tissue boxes, and I think they turned out great!  I covered the boxes with brown craft paper, then drew patterns for Emma and gave her a stack of scrapbook paper.  She traced and cut all the pattern pieces, then glued the turkeys together.  She was pretty precise!  Don't the google eyes just slay you?  Eyelids and eyelashes?  Hilarious!  We had so much paper left over that we made a second turkey to keep.  He's still sitting on my counter with all the Christmas decor.  I can't seem to throw him away!



I also took some inspiration from a blog called Creekside Learning.  She had this super clever idea to fashion pilgrims and indians out of cardboard tubes, so we took that and ran with it.  These were addictive to make!






They graced our Thanksgiving table as the centerpiece.  (I clearly took it easy this year!)


Jeff and I went out with our supper club the night Emma and I worked on these.  She gathered several of the scraps while we were out and surprised me by making this horse for the indians.  PERFECT.  He is by far my favorite piece of the entire setting.  She is a craft genius!  :-)


We took a day during Thanksgiving week to meet some friends at the arboretum and play in the pumpkins.  The thing about play dates is that I think they quite often bless the moms more than the kids!  It is so nice to fellowship with other homeschooling moms who are in my same boat.  I love swapping stories and just indulging in some girl time.  This day was food for my soul!



My oldest did not come home for Thanksgiving.  She had good reasons for staying in Tennessee, but still, I missed her terribly.  So, it was nice to have extra teens in the house to love on and feed over the holidays.  I love LOVE having a house full of kids....makes my heart GRATEFUL.



Jeff was off the entire week of Thanksgiving, which was such a treat.  Sunday night, we ran an errand on the other side of town, just the two of us.  On the way home, we stopped by this big light display that was synchronized to music.  It was really well done and super festive.  I absolutely LOVE Christmas light displays, so this was a very sweet gesture on Jeff's part, and it was the perfect, quiet ending to a busy, blessed week.







2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the Thanksgiving crafts! Thank you for linking back! Looks like you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW CUTE!!! I want Emma to make me some of these pilgrims and Native Americans for my own table next year! These are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete